The Sea #IX
Sky and Sea
November is American Indian Heritage Month
November is National American Indian Heritage Month. The Library of Congress, National Endowment for the Humanities, National Gallery of Art, National Park Service, and Smithsonian Institution join in paying tribute to the rich ancestry and traditions of Native Americans. We invite readers to learn more about Native American Indian Heritage Month and the Passamaquoddy People of Maine at the following website: passamaquoddypeople.com.
|We at The Commons will join in this tribute by featuring Passamaquoddy Arts to debut as our November 19th Featured Collection.|
– Linda, Meg, and Nancy
Maine Seen as “Idyllic Oasis”
Writer Laurie Schreiber (MaineBiz), citing data from a recent Maine Office of Tourism virtual meeting, shared desires people are seeking in these unusual times:
- Safe and healthy environments as a “stress-reliever” in these times.
- Places and spaces for mental retreats, safe escapes, less crowed places.
- Locations that can fill both virtual work and creative schooling options.
- Natural beauty—cozying up indoors, outdoors for rejuvenation.
- Access to culinary experiences, coastal regions — in particular, northern rural counties.
- Statewide campaign highlights holiday shopping and Maine-made products.
Artist Meg McGarvey’s Work Benefits Peavey Memorial Library and Eastport Arts Center!
|Eastport artist, Meg McGarvey, is offering a gift opportunity for the coming holiday season. Anyone purchasing one of her boxed shell ornaments for $45, will have $20 of that purchase price divided evenly between the Eastport Arts Center and the Peavey Memorial Library in Eastport. Meg and The Commons want to support these local organizations and their continuing programs.|
Meg McGarvey sources her designs and creations from nature. She spins wool and uses shells and other beach finds in wall hangings and jewelry. Meg is one of the partners at The Commons and takes great joy in being part of such a stellar grouping of other artisans and artists.
View the complete edition of “Tuesday News” here.